Monday, September 15, 2008

weird menu items: part one








Jeff and I go to a lot of family restaurants which has lead me to notice something about family restaurant menus: They contain some pretty entertaining typos and meal choices. Take the above for example. "Sophie's Choice."

?????

Now, I have never actually seen the movie or read the book Sophie's Choice, however, I know what it's about. If you don't, I welcome you to read the synopsis here (but keep in mind, it will spoil the movie for you): Sophie's Choice Synopsis

If you don't want to ruin the movie for yourself, here's the drift:

Holocaust
Concentration Camps
A mother and two children in an impossible situation
Death

(That's a REALLY watered down list of things involved in the movie.)

So naming a menu item Sophie's Choice? Darkly funny and quite unappetizing. Brilliant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Sophie's Choice" is such a sad, tragic film about the Holocaust that we have it as an option to use in the version of ENGL 105 that has students reading "Man's Search for Meaning"! I can't imagine how many people see that on the menu and not only refuse to order it, but hesitate to patronize that restaurant again.