Friday, April 18, 2008

Flamingo...




















I needed a picture to make me laugh today. And this one seemed to fit the bill. I took it three years ago for no apparent reason other than the fact that A.) Flamingos are funny...especially lawn flamingos. (Where, pray tell, would one ever see a wild flamingo trotting around the yard in the Midwest?) And B.) well, there is no B. Flamingos are funny...period.

Don't get me wrong, today's not a bad day...it's just eh...

I wish I had a camera phone. I'm contemplating kidnapping one of the porcelain clowns from my boss's office and holding it for ransom. You know, take pictures of it in front of popular northwest Indiana and Chicago landmarks and leave little notes about leaving a bag of unmarked bills in the garbage can behind Big Bubba's House of Hot Fun. (What?)

Holy crap. So I went to lunch mid-blog. We went to the Cracker Barrel (if there was ever a place to find some wacky inspiration, this would be at the top of the list...wow.) Anyhow, I went with my boss and a few other coworkers. The waitress came to our table and greeted us, and then she dropped a bomb: "Hello. How are you today? (pause) My name is Yo-Yo and I'll be your server today."

Yo-yo? Really? I looked at her name tag to make sure that all the photocopying I'd been doing at work hadn't caused mild psychosis. And there it was in yellow embroidery thread: "Yo-yo"

Hyphen and all.

So, being the goofball that I am, I looked around the table, expecting eye contact from one of my coworkers that said, "Did she really just say her name was Yo-yo?!"

But nobody else seemed to notice...or care.

People! Our waitress was named after a string toy! Yo-freaking-yo! What the shit?

Needless to say, I resigned to eating my hash brown casserole and coleslaw in silence, contemplating what would inspire a parent to name her child Yo-yo. I also assumed that Yo-yo had siblings named Frisbee, Silly-Putty, and Whiffle.

What a family reunion that would be...

Back to photocopying 300 pages...

I wish I had a Yo-yo to help pass the time right about now.

Yo,
-T.

No comments: