Wednesday, April 30, 2008

kinda hurt

So, I've been working for my current company off and on for the past three years. They were really flexible when it came to my class schedule, and they were also happy to accept me back, part time after graduation.

It has its benefits and its pitfalls, but for the most part, I've been happy. It's not a place that lets me use my creativity or my writing skills, but it's not the worst job in the world. (Being a bank teller was the worst job in the world. I'd scoop elephant shit for 12 hours straight before I ever went back to being a bank teller.)

But today I was really hurt.

It's easy to tell when someone is going to say something that will offend you. It's not in the way they're looking at you, or their tone of voice or anything. Nope...much simpler.

They will say, "No offense, but..."

Which, loosely translated, simply means:

"Look. I am going to say something to offend you and most likely hurt your feelings, thus making you want to jab a dull salad fork into my right eye. However, because I have forewarned you, you are not allowed to feel or do any of what I previously mentioned. In other words, I'm saving my ass and justifying being a complete assjerk." (Yes, assjerk...)

And that's how it started. Although I'm never invited to staff meetings, because the board room was occupied, they held the staff meeting in my part of the office. There was talk about moving people and desks and whatnot (I was too busy actually working to hear), and then I heard one person (a person that I honestly like), say, "No offense but..."

(Sweet Jesus, here it comes...)

"...I don't really care where we stick Tiffany. It's nothing personal, it's just that she's part time so it doesn't matter, ya know?"

Hold the holy hell up.

You know, just stick me out back by the dumpster...that would be great. Because, you know, it doesn't matter. I'm only part time...

Crap...I need to make it through this audition. At least give me some hope!

-T.

1 comment:

Schmerica said...

hmmmm who said it? charlie? jamie? mary kay? barbara? oh the possibilities are endless.