Wednesday, May 28, 2008

where the sidewalk ends

So I was watching the news last night as I worked on some crossword puzzles to keep my mind sharp. (Or maybe I'm just getting old..............nah.)

I was a bit surprised by a story coming out of Northbrook, IL about residents opposed to sidewalks. Now, I could understand if the opposition stemmed from being forced to pay for said sidewalks or having to actually install (?? this word doesn't really work, but I'll leave it...it's early) said sidewalks.

But the opposition didn't really involve any of that. See, a lot of people want the sidewalks, especially near schools and areas of high child traffic. Makes sense, right?

Wrong. See, there are other residents that seem to think the aesthetic beauty of grass and landscaping far outweighs the need for the safety of sidewalks.

---cue record scratch---

Are you kidding me?!

Pretty grass? Really? That's your main concern?

It really got my goat. What a selfish and silly reason for not wanting a sidewalk. And what's so ugly about sidewalks? As long as they're maintained they're hardly noticeable. For chry-yi, I've seen grass more unruly than a cracked sidewalk.

It just seemed like a lame reason to oppose a sidewalk. There are much better reasons to oppose sidewalks...such as an allergy to concrete...or a fear of stubbing one's toe...hell, a dislike of anthills...I don't know. But aesthetic beauty over safety of one's neighbors? Seriously people. Get with the program.

Whatever. I have a side walk. And when I get home, I'm going to tell it how much I appreciate it...and how aesthetically pleasing it is to look at.

No comments: