Friday, June 13, 2008

on being a good samartian and other nunsense

I don't have a picture for this one, but if I had my camera...the moment would have been brilliant.

I was driving to the Tap Wednesday night when I noticed that the car in front of me was swerving a lot. At first I though maybe he was just talking on his cell not paying attention, or looking for something that fell under the seat.

But when he started turning his headlights of and on and then turning on his brights...I knew something really wasn't right.

I got close enough to get his license plate number and called the police.

The tricky part? Well, I was on a stretch of highway that passes through about 5 different cities, so I had to call the city I was passing through at the moment. As soon as I got through, I passed into another city so they had to transfer departments. However, the information was taken and hopefully no one got hurt.

After I got off the phone, I pulled into Walgreens. Now, it was about 11PM, so this next sentence may seem a little odd. Okay... A LOT odd.

As I parked, I noticed some nuns packing up their purchases in their car. Nuns? At Walgreens? At 11PM?

I took this as a good sign.

But wait...it's not finished yet.

I walked into Walgreens, I noticed about FIVE MORE NUNS.

Weird...but in a good kind of way I guess.

I waited in line as the nuns made their purchases. I stopped to look at the impulse buy section, and when I looked up I saw my Kodak moment...when I was sans Kodak.

A kid had just bought a pack of those sour punch straw things. You know, the licorice-type candies covered in sour sugar? Yeah, those.

Well, he was eating them and I guess when I looked at the amazing deals on miracle weight loss pills and glittery, neon lighters, he handed one to the nuns.

When I looked up, there were the nuns, sampling this sour candy...smiling and laughing...passing it around.

There, among the mini-shopping carts and blue Walgreens baskets, a gaggle of nuns were enjoying sour candy and laughing like kids. In my mind, I assumed that the happy nuns were God's way of saying, "Hey, Tiff. Thanks for doing the right thing." Or, "Don't worry about that driver...I'll make sure it's all right."

Or maybe it was just a matter of, "See? Nuns like candy, too."

No comments: