Monday, June 2, 2008

vanilla chai with sugar and cream?

So, today was my first day at JV.

Awesome.

I met so many cool people, and the other new girl and I both got a round of applause after completing our first days on the job. In fact, as I drove home on Lake Shore Drive, I actually started to miss work.

Whoa.

That's never happened before. But I did. I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store. It's a really great feeling to think that a.) I am working with an incredible group of people and b.) I am going to be doing work that I feel passionate about.

What's funny is that, prior to finding the job posting, I had no idea that a job like this even existed.

After I got back into Indiana, my eyes were hanging. All of the excitement from the past few weeks had finally caught up with me. Problem was, my day was far from over. So at 6:00pm, I decided to drive through Dunkin' Donuts for a small vanilla coffee with sugar and cream. I needed the caffeine boost to get me out to Griffith and keep me alert and cheering during Max's little league practice.

Me: "Hi. Can I please have a small vanilla coffee with cream and sugar?"
Muffled Dunkin Donuts Person: "Um. We only have medium?" (Yes, it was posed as a question.)
Me: "Oh that's fine."
Muffled Dunkin Donuts Person: "Cream and sugar still?" (As if the size of the cup played a role in my need for sweetener and half 'n half...)
Me: "Yes. Thank you."
Muffled Dunkin Donuts Person: "Okay. Please pull around."

After a few minutes, she came to the window, took my money, and handed me my drink. I could have sworn I'd heard her say, "Here's your vanilla chai," but I just thought she forgot herself.

Coffee. Chai. They sound nothing alike, but I suppose if she sounds muffled to me through the speaker, I must sound pretty muffled as well.

I drove off, anxiously anticipating that first rejuvenating sip.

It was freaking chai.

But...guess what?

The chai was actually much better than the coffee. The chai was CHOCK FULL OF DELICIOSITY. The chai was exactly what I needed. But I'm pretty sure I've never had hot vanilla chai before.

As a matter of fact, I didn't even know that Dunkin Donuts served chai.

As I enjoyed every single foamy, vanilla-filled, freaking delicious sip, I came to this simple conclusion:

Sometimes what we want or expect isn't what's best for us. Sometimes you stumble upon things completely by accident and in turn find exactly what you never knew you were looking for. And it's better than you could have ever imagined.

So here's to vanilla chai and my new career with JV. Two things that I never expected, but were just what I needed.

No comments: